Thursday

Beginners Workout #1





Ahh, working out. You either love it or you hate it... or both! I, myself, have personally grown to love working out. At first, it was just something I was forcing/torturing myself to do. I can still remember my days of prep-talking myself to actually workout. When I finally got to the gym I attempted to do an exercise but started to tear up because it was hard and I was confused.There were countless times I left the gym feeling disappointed, frustrated and absolutely un-motivated. Although my motives (wanting to be model-thin) were to be questioned, I was determined to learn. At that time I wasn't earning enough to hire a Personal Trainer to learn from, so I decided to work with what I had. I searched for days on different types of programs, exercises and their proper forms. I even bought magazines and books and watched what the other people were doing at the gym(which was a bad idea, always ask a trainer instead). At first it was a bit rocky but eventually I was able to learn and I started to see results.

The more I worked-out the more I realized that exercise isn't something I should dread doing and it isnt't just for weight-loss. What I noticed the most, other than my weight loss, was that I had gained  more energy, and started to feel absolutely amazing. I eventually learned to love my body for what it was and what it could do, I even learned from my workouts to be focused and to always aim for your goals which extended to other areas of my life. Needless to say, 4 years later I took my passion of working out and brought it to the next level - I became a Personal Trainer!

For those of you who feel like I once did: Stop having crazy assumptions about working-out that hinder you from beginning! Know that exercise can always be adjusted to what you enjoy! If you hate how boring it is to run on the treadmill, try Circuit Training. If you don't want to lift heavy weights (although you really must), try body-weight exercises. If you don't want to do the standard sets and reps type of workout, try Interval Training. Sports, Dancing, Martial-Arts and more are all ways of getting your exercise. Choose what's best for you and enjoy it! Know that every step you take brings you closer to your goals. Have fun realizing that you're doing something good for your body, for yourself!

Today's Workout:
Today's workout is for the absolute beginner. When I begin to work with a client who has never worked out before, I like starting them off with the basics. These basics are the foundation of exercise, once you have learned to execute these exercises you will be able to perform countless others that extend from these forms.

Since this is our "foundation building" phase, we will be executing these exercises in the classic sets and reps style. For example: Today's workout will be 3 Sets of 10 Reps. Meaning, you will perform the exercise 10 times and then rest about 30 seconds to 1 minute (The ideal rest time to increase heart rate to help in fat loss) - this is considered 1 set. After rest time is finished, continue to do the same exercise 10 times and then rest for another 30 seconds to 1 minute - this is set number 2. Continue your sets in this manner.

 How-To:
SQUATS
  1.  Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width, and arms placed behind head (as shown in picture), or arms crossed over chest.
  2. Slowly lower body, moving hips back as if sitting into a chair. Lower body until thighs are parallel to floor.
  3. Come back up to starting position and repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Keep knees from passing over the toes to avoid stress on the knees
  • Keep weight directly over the heel, not letting the heels come off the floor

GIRLY PUSH-UPS


  1. Lying on stomach, raise body up supporting yourself on your hands and knees.
  2. Extend  arms, keeping hands slightly wider than shoulder-width at upper chest level.
  3. Return to starting position and repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Use slow, controlled movement.
  • Keep body straight, not letting hips raise higher than the rest of body.
  • BENT-OVER ROW
  1. Holding dumbbells or a heavy bag, water bottles, can's of soup, etc.,Take a stationary squat position over object to provide a stable platform. Upper body should be parallel with floor.
  2. Starting with arms hanging towards the floor, squeeze shoulder blades together while lifting object towards the side of waist.
  3. Return to starting position and repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Avoid momentum; use a slow, controlled, full-range movement.
  • Avoid rounding back. Keep back arched by sticking chest and butt out.

SHOULDER PRESS/MILITARY PRESS
  1.   Holding dumbbells or a heavy bag, water bottles, can's of soup, etc., stand with feet shoulder-width apart. 
  2. With Palms facing in, towards you, and elbows down, press object above head.
  3. Return to start and repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Avoid momentum; use a slow, controlled, full-range movement.
  • Keep back straight and abs flexed.
SEAT DIPS
  1.  Place both hands at the edge of a bench or chair with fingers pointing forward and feet on floor.
  2. Lower body bending elbows so that they move toward back wall. Stop when arms are parallel to floor approx. 90 degrees.
  3. Once in lowered position, push back up to starting position keeping elbows back. Repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Keep back straight, avoiding curve in back.
  • Avoid descending too deeply to protect shoulder joints.
  • Avoid flaring elbows outward.
  • Depending on strength keep legs bent (easiest) or completely straight (hardest).
CRUNCHES
  1.  Lying on back with knees bent and feet flat on floor, clasp hands behind head or stretch arms straight in front (as shown)
  2. Focusing on the use of your abs, slowly curl the upper body upwards. Shoulders off the floor but lower back kept on the floor.
  3. Pause than return to start. Repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Avoid momentum.
  • Avoid tugging on neck or chin to lift the body. Keep chin tucked in slightly.
  • Avoid pulling upper body up with your hands. Focus on the use of your upper abs.

LEG RAISES
  1. Lying on back with legs straight, place both hands under butt for leverage.
  2. Keeping legs straight, or slightly bent depending on strength, slowly lift both legs up stopping right before feet are aligned with hips.
  3. Lower to start position without touching floor. Repeat for reps.
Tips for Good Form:
  • Avoid momentum.
  • Keep lower back on floor.

Once finished with exercises try to incorporate 10-15 minutes of cardio. If you don't have access to gym equipment it's time to get creative! Dance, walk your dog a few blocks, run up and down the stairs,  or walk in place as fast as you can for 10-15 minutes. This is your time to adjust the program to what you enjoy! Choose anything that will get your heart rate up and then finish your workout with a few stretching exercises.

Congrats, you completed our first workout! Let me know how it went! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete